Sunday, April 19, 2009

MMmmm Monday -- Pesto Cheese, and Chicken Meltdown

Pesto is one of my absolute FAVORITE toppings to put on pretty much anything -- stromboli, pasta dishes, hamburgers (along with pico de gallo) and pretty much any sandwich. The basic grilled cheese recipe is not one of our favorites but today's recipe is a tasty grilled cheese sandwich that I found a few years ago and we really enjoy.

Pesto Cheese,and Chicken Meltdown

Pesto Sauce -- my Mother-in-law gave me the tip to make it with spinach if I don't have enough basil and that is really good too.

process the following together in a food processor:

2 1/2 to 3 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves (or part spinach)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts (I have used sunflower seeds)
big pinch of salt
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Sandwich

spread slices of bread with pesto sauce, top with a slice of provolone cheese and deli chicken. Make like a grilled cheese and top with a tomato.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...