Friday, January 9, 2009

Show & Tell -- Painting

We have been remodeling for the past 8 years now and so projects abound, although time for them is very lacking. I have always desired to have a homeschool room in the basement along with a family room. My husband put the flooring down maybe a year ago as he couldn't wait for me to decide on paint colors and to get it painted. Now, for those of you who know me I am one of the most indecisive people and if I make a decision it needs to be exactly what I envision or I will end up liking something better down the road. It very often happens that I have a picture in my mind of how I want something to look but yet I cannot find what I am looking for. And so, I have gone back and forth over paint colors for a year now and finally decided on what to do with the basement.

I absolutely LOVE bright colors and if you saw my house you would see that (our living room is red, dining room lavender and I won't name the rest) and so chose two colors. First  geranium leaf for the homeschool area and after I plugged that into the computer at Home Depot I found  tide pools (more muted than the words here) that coordinated for the family room area.

I really enjoy painting when I have the chance (although cleanup isn't so fun) and when the boys saw that we picked out paint they were excited and wanted to help. Now, George has helped out with mudding the drywall in the past and they have all helped Grandma Mason prime the walls back when I was supposed to paint but I wasn't so sure about having them "help" put color on the walls! I knew George could do it but once I let him do it I have three others saying "Why can't I?" and I figured we might as well let them try. Needless to say, it turned out fine. John gave them lessons on how to paint and they worked well together. I went behind and filled in any spots that needed a bit more paint and the job was done in no time with me ending up doing more of the cleanup than painting. They all enjoyed helping and had a good lesson in painting. Maybe next time I will get to paint and they can cleanup!

There will be cabinets and shelves along this wall which will break up the green a bit. It was hard to get a good picture of the other color so you'll have to wait until the room is carpeted and furnished -- hopefully soon! :)

For more Show & Tells please visit Mary aka Canadagirl at Raising 4 Godly Men

6 comments:

Haflingerhorses said...

I love color, too! Beiges and whites are just so boring (yawn). I also love green (but I like blue too!) - the color you picked for your basement looks totally fun and perky. I can't wait to see the final project. I always thought it would be cool to have a room just for school, too, just because I wanted to hang neat educational posters, like a huge periodical table.

Antoinette

SuzyScribbles said...

Oh, wow. You get the medal for bravery. That is LOT of help. How much ended up on the wall and how much on the workers? LOL

Looks like tons of fun, actually, and wonderful memories.

sahmto4orMore said...

Oooh, I like that color! Good choice.


I love it when we work together as a team on projects like that.

It's great to see the kids work together so well and with so much enthusiasm.

jenn4him said...

Oh, I like it, too! That will be wonderful for you to have a dedicated space for lessons.

Happy New Year.

Jenn

basketflat said...

They look like they are having a blast. I love the color. I think that sounds like a good plan to have them clean up and you paint next time. LOL.


Cathy

mamakaren said...

They are doing a great job! I love the color too. Can't wait to see the finished look. (-:

Blessings, Mama Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...