Monday, June 4, 2007

Toilet-Training help!?!

A few months back I was so excited to be changing one less diaper as we had potty-trained Tank (known by some as Captain Chaos). Well, he may be potty-trained but we have yet to get him trained in the other bodily function. He has gone on the toilet maybe 4 times in the past months so we know that he can do it. Otherwise he has taken to just going in his underwear. Oh the joy! . We have tried a chart with the incentive if he could go on the toilet 3 times in a row he would get a new toy. Tank does not care. We got all excited when he did go. Didn't matter. Tried having him wash out his own underwear but that was too much fun. So I asked him, "Why can't you go stinky on the toilet?" His reply... "I don't want to!" Ahhh!  He will however take time out of his day to go potty when the need arises.

Where do we go from here? We have been disciplining him each time he goes in his underwear because he knows the right thing to do but refuses to do it. That also does not seem to phase him. In the past week we decided to go back to diapers as it is easier to change a diaper than to wash out underwear and is not quite as disgusting. I am wondering if any of you have experienced this and can give any ideas as we have run out of them.

3 comments:

GAMama said...

I really enjoyed visiting your site. I also heard Ken Ham speak recently at the HS conference in Atlanta, it was very interesting. As far as potty training goes...well, I think some just take longer than others, or just need more encouragement. My son knew how but didn't want to for about a year. We never put him in diapers again because we didn't want to confuse him. He just finally got the hang of it at some point and didn't need to be prodded anymore. I guess that is not much help but I can identify with your frustration.

living4Him said...

Amy, I do remember the LONG days, and many attempts at potty training one of our boys. To be honest, I don't know if you would want to do what we did, but it worked for us. We simply backed off. We went back to pull-ups (easier to change than diapers) and just left the issue alone. There were so many other areas of training that we were working on that I don't feel that we were "letting him get his way", and quite honestly, it allowed me to bond with this child without that frustration being a part of our relationship. I will never regret doing what I did with him. Anyway...that's how we dealt with that. (Chris said that he loves that little guy following him around when he goes out to your place!)

sahmto4orMore said...

Yep, been there.

I had to stick with making them clean up their own mess. They thought it was fun at first, but after a couple of weeks of it, it got old and they decided it was easier to use the potty. I have to admit i also had them take a shower to clean themselves each time and i used cold water. It was a little extra motivation, but i told them we had to get it washed off fast cause it's so yucky and we didn't have time to wait for the water to get warm. Our water takes forever to get warm on that side of the house.

May be cruel, but it worked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...