Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Daddy's Home!

John traveled to South Korea last week. He was only gone for 5 1/2 days which may not sound very long but it was long enough! I knew it was coming and so I began to prepare myself for his departure. Obviously it was pointless to be upset about his trip because it is a part of his job. Thankfully he doesn't travel this long and far very often and it is usually only an overnight trip. But, him being so far away and with so little contact was what was unsettling. Even during a normal workday John will call at least once if not more just to touch base. I knew that would not be the case all the way around the world.

I thought of how much I "need" to hear his voice and have John's encouragement each day. But I then realized how much more I was depending on John and how little I was depending on my Father God. I knew that I needed to make sure I started each day reading God's promises to me and praying for strength for each day to accomplish that what was needed. Yes, I should always be starting each day that way but often my time with the Lord during a day falls to when I get a chance. :( This past week I claimed the verse -- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13. I also needed to choose to have the right attitude and my week went so much better than if I dwelt on my circumstances.

Of course there were tests to my patience with added responsibilities (John really helps out a lot!), sick kids (mainly my #1 helper), and the super cold weather. John being gone means late nights for me as I like to stay awake until I am so tired I will fall to sleep instantly without hearing all of the "noises". :) We also found after I tracked his flight and waited until 2 a.m. for a call, that his supposedly international cell phone did not work. He ended up calling from the hotel every morning which was when he was going to bed and I was just thankful to hear his voice.

What a sweet reunion when John returned home! His flight was delayed by a few hours as they had turned around early into the flight for a medical emergency but we were all so happy to see Daddy walking up our walkway with a huge smile on his face. I don't think I stopped looking at him all night long, what a beautiful sight to have my love back home. Hopefully there are no overseas trips anytime in the near future!

Of course after he adjusted to our time again he heads to Alabama for an overnight trip this week. At least he is building up those frequent flier miles.

2 comments:

Kidcraze said...

I'm glad he is back home safely. I know it is hard when they are gone.
Have you looked into Skype? I use it to talk to my friend in Cambodia for free and I can see her.....it is a video and phone connection over the internet. We use it to talk to the grandparents, too, so they can see the kids.

Keri Mae said...

Hi Amy

I am so glad I read this today. My hubby's been gone and is coming home late tonight. I SO understand not being able to sleep! And of course, the coyotes always seem to know when he is gone :(

Thanks for your comments to my blog. It was so nice to see yours again and see your great family photo! Everyone's getting so big!

Hugs
Keri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...