Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Ministering in the nursing home

Last week the children and I along with a few other homeschool families from church dressed up as Pilgrims and Indians and had a Thanksgiving hymn sing at a nursing home.

[caption id="attachment_782547" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="You can see George and Tank here."][/caption]

When I was growing up my Grandma would frequently take my sister and me to visit her sister in a nursing home so I came to enjoy visiting and bringing joy to other residents as well. I have wanted my children to have that same experience and this has been the perfect opportunity singing every few months.

[caption id="attachment_782548" align="aligncenter" width="414" caption="Seppy sings along but always with a serious expression."][/caption]

Our first visit was a little intimidating for the children, especially as a sweet lady in the front row was missing an eye, something you don't see every day. She made them comfortable though by being very engaging in her conversation with them. Tank was too nervous to sing in front the first time but this time he was happy to sing for the residents. In the beginning Seppy hung behind during greeting time, our summer visit he simply waved, this time he went right up to those folks and happily shook their hands. Oh the joy on peoples faces when they greet the children. That is my absolute favorite thing about being at the nursing home.

[caption id="attachment_782546" align="aligncenter" width="450" caption="Wish it wasn't blurry but I love this picture!"][/caption]

What a wonderful way for each of us to learn to give of ourselves and serve others, as it doesn't come naturally.

Next month -- Caroling!

1 comment:

kidcraze said...

Wonderful!
What a blessing for the folks and for your family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...