Friday, November 5, 2010

Hungry Caterpillar and Butterfly Cakes

This year for Missy and Seppy's birthday cakes I suggested ideas of what I wanted to make. Missy had originally wanted a little cottage with a Strawberry Shortcake doll next to it that we saw online but I was going for something a little faster being that I needed to make two. I was going to make Seppy a firetruck but decided I'd rather not make loads of red frosting as it takes so much coloring to make it a nice color. In the end I found a cute idea for the Hungry Caterpillar cake out of cupcakes and thought that would be super easy and what child doesn't love that book? I convinced Missy that she needed a beautiful butterfly to go with it.

I don't really like how either cake turned out. I am not as good at frosting a cake and putting decorations on as I am at piping frosting on. Piping stars or whatnot on a cake covers imperfections much easier and looks more pulled together. Missy said hers was the most beautiful cake and I guess she is the only one I really needed to please.

[caption id="attachment_782539" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Wish I would have taken the picture during the day so the colors wouldn't be so off. "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_782540" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="More like the very sloppy caterpillar. Not at all what I envisioned but I didn't plan it out, I just went with it. :)"][/caption]

2 comments:

Julie said...

Amy,
They both turned out great! You are too hard on yourself. Not every cake needs to be perfect. I'm sure your kids loved them!

Julie Carol

Tracy said...

It is a great idea and they both look cute! As long as the kids are happy, that's all that counts.
I am planning on a firetruck b'day cake here in a couple of weeks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...