Monday, May 10, 2010

Mmmm Monday -- Berry Sauce

We had college students overnight Saturday as we try to do at least once a month. I tried a new recipe for breakfast. It was Berry French Toast Bake which was good but the thing that I really liked about it was the Berry Sauce. I typically make some type of berry syrup when we have pancakes even though I do have some traditionalists here that will only eat maple. While this is similar to what I normally make I think the orange juice really helps to enhance the flavor of the berries. This will now become my pancake topping of choice.


BERRY SAUCE


1/2 cup sugar (I use a little less as I always try to decrease the sugar)
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
2 T. orange juice (I used more -- maybe 1/3 cup?)
1 cup frozen unsweetened mixed berries
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped


Stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Stir in mixed berries; heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook about 4 minutes, still stirring, or until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Just before serving, stir in the strawberries. Serve warm.


It was good the next day too and is also good cold.







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...