Saturday, April 7, 2007

Hospitality and Willing Helpers

I love to entertain and have people over to our house whether it is having people overnight or a baby shower with a group of women. I remember all of the many missionaries and guests that my parents entertained while I was growing up and how I would take pictures of them to remember their visit. This left an impression on me.


While I may enjoy entertaining, I haven’t always kept it up being as it can be a lot of work to get your house in order when there are little ones going before you in seeming destruction mode. “Do you think the floor is a garbage?” I often mutter. I would usually get frustrated with the preparations not going as I plan and the last minute rush to get everything sparkling and smelling fresh. Lately we have taken to the thinking that the more we entertain the more our house will stay clean and in order so we continue to invite people. I have loosened up my expectations as it really shouldn’t matter to people if there happens to be dust on the lamp or that the windows are smudged full of sticky fingerprints. This after all is my life right now. Last weekend I was hosting a bridal shower for a young lady from church. As I told the children of the approaching event I explained how we all need to work together to get things clean and in order. This isn’t only a job for Mommy. George then says, “Why do you always have showers here? Don’t you know it makes more work for us?!?”



The week of preparation went so much smoother than I imagined. I didn’t yell once! The children were willing helpers which shocked me. George especially went out of his way to do anything he could to help me and I thanked him over and again. While my house wasn’t perfect, I know we all worked together to clean and did the best we could do. The boys were just disappointed that they couldn’t be at the shower. Why do Mom’s get all the fun? This month we are having some students from a Bible college up north who come down to help out at church on Sundays stay overnight. I enjoy this as the children are learning how to interact with new people and are starting to open up more. Now our youngest, Tank loves people and considers the guys to be his “friends”. The children are also learning to practice hospitality.



 


A Sunday afternoon of playing games with two college students over for dinner.

 




1 Peter 4:8-10  And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.


1 comment:

KindredHeart said...

Just wanted to stop by and thank you for sharing your insights and all that God is teaching you. You are a blessing, and I feel so blessed to know you.


Also wanted to make sure you know that you've been nominated for the "Best New Blog" in the Homeschool Blog Awards! www.homeschoolblogawards.com


Voting begins today, April 9! Congratulations, friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...